Public Logs

Share your ideas to improve Scorpio Station
Veloxi
Site Admin

Public Logs

Post by Veloxi »

I was asking a player about actions we could take or policies that we could enact to enable transparency and accountability on Scorpio Station.
One of the interesting suggestions was publishing Public Logs in a way similar to TG Station:

https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/

This isn't quite as simple as publishing the raw logs; those contain IP addresses, CKEYs, and other private or semi-private information.
I'm not suggesting that we dox all the players.

Rather, I'm suggesting that we parse/scrub the game logs to remove private information and then make those sanitized logs available to the players for download.
There would be some delay, perhaps ~24 hours, so it wouldn't be possible to download the log of a round in progress.

What does the community think?
Would public logs be a valuable resource for transparency and accountability?
Or do we prefer the ephemeral nature of rounds?
ZomgPonies
Maintainer

Re: Public Logs

Post by ZomgPonies »

I see both good and bad things coming out of it. While I wholly support transparency in decisionmaking and being accountable to the community, I have a feeling this system can easily be abused by people looking for things to metagrudge over, even if we remove the PII.
garrett77

Re: Public Logs

Post by garrett77 »

ZomgPonies wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:00 am
I have a feeling this system can easily be abused by people looking for things to metagrudge over, even if we remove the PII.
Have to agree with that, or people looking for dirt.

I think it has good and bad potential for sure, but I'm not so sure it's a great idea, open to it, however.