Wizards are unique individuals who have access to powers that defy scientific principles. Most are part of the Space Wizard Federation, who have their own interests in Ark Soft's resources. They are often given objectives to take valuable items, destroy certain things, or for the case of Wizards inbound to the NSS Cyberiad mostly - to simply cause havoc and destruction to the station. Unlike the Syndicate, however, wizards do not receive any outside assistance from the Federation. Outside of the wizard's spells and/or their apprentices, the wizard is completely on his or her own. Unless if the Federation is pissed, of course.
The wizard's goals are usually to steal or destroy something important to the station. But for this case, they need to cause destruction on the station and survive to the end of the round, they don't have to escape on the shuttle.
Your magical equipment
After you spawn inside the Wizard's Den, you'll find several enchanted items either on your person or spread out around you:
This is where you buy all your fancy spells and trinkets to unleash chaos on the crew. You’ll start with 10SP (Spell points) to spend as you wish, and can refund most spells (unless otherwise stated) while you are still inside the wizard’s den. The spellbook is also bound to only open to you, so your apprentices or random crew members cannot open it themselves to acquire magic of their own.
Due south of your starting location will be a room filled with various outfits. The Wizard's Hood, Robes, and Sandals all act as magical amplifiers and boost the wizards skills. Certain spells can only be performed with them equipped, and they reduce the cool downs of the ones that don't. If you lose these, it can make completing your objective a lot harder.
Scroll of Teleportation
A 4-use (1-use if you’re an apprentice) magical scroll that will let you teleport to most locations on the station. You’ll need this to actually board it in the first place (unless you have the teleport spell), but the remaining uses can come in handy if you’re in a bind and need to wait for your spells to cool down. Do note that you cannot teleport back to the wizard's den once you leave it.
If you wish to change what species you are, you may use the magic mirror in your bedroom. It'll let you customize nearly everything about your appearance.
A single cup of mugwort rests on your table in the main room of the den. Mugwort will slowly heal wizards of all damage types over time, so be sure to grab it if you need to heal up later on.
There's a few vending machines scattered around the den for you to make use of before you head off to the station. In addition to food, there's also a special magivend machine with some spare wizard equipment if you need it. It can also dispense a unique item if you find some way to hack the machine...
You Are the Wizard, the Wizard Is You
As a single wizard against the entire crew, you do not have an easy task ahead of you. You can bet that most of the crew will be after your blood the moment your arrival is announced, regardless of your intentions. Picking out a good loadout of spells and equipment is crucial if you want to survive while causing as much chaos as you possibly can. Below are a few pointers to consider when choosing what spells and magical artefacts you want to take with you on your quest:
- It is heavily recommended that you take at least 1 mobility spell with you. While you have access to some of the most powerful abilities and items in the game, you are still just a regular old crew member with zero station access when it comes to dealing with weaponry and airlocks. Having access to a spell which can whisk you away from danger and let you easily move around the station will significantly improve your odds of surviving. Some good choices for mobility spells include Ethereal Jaunt, Blink and Teleport. Rod form can also be a good mix of mobility and offence, but be careful you don’t throw yourself into space with no means of getting back onto the station.
- Bind Soul is a good choice for newbie wizards who want the possibility of another shot at wizardry, as it will revive you some time after death to wherever you stored your bound item. Be warned that it if the crew finds the item and destroys it, or you are cremated, you will not revive from death. You will also resurrect with only some black wizard robes on you, so any items you acquired or bought will be lost unless you're making use of Summon Item.
- If you want to be a stealthier wizard, consider taking the No Clothes spell so you aren’t restricted to only using spells that don’t require robes. In addition, do not give yourself a very obvious wizard-like name as the crew will likely find it very suspicious once you board… unless you make use of Mind Transfer to walk around as someone else.
- While many of the magical items and artefacts are powerful and fun to use, bear in mind that the crew can and often will try to take these away from you, often choosing to then use them against you if possible. Stick with spells if you do not want to die to your own items or invest in the Instant Summons spell to bind an item to you so you can recall it back into your hands if it gets stolen.
- While you start off on your own, you can invest your SP into getting allies to further your magical cause. Apprentices can focus on keeping you alive or causing some mayhem of their own, while guardians can offer a lot of support and attack based options based on the one you choose. The soul stone belt and necromantic stone allow you to turn the former crew into allies of your own, though this does require you to find bodies to convert first. Lastly the bottles of ooze, blood and tickles will summon extremely powerful monsters onto the station, but they are not bound to serve you and can choose to hunt you down just as much as the crew!
- One little known feature is that you can buy the same spell multiple times to upgrade it, which reduces the cool down. A compatible spell can be upgraded up to 5 times, though obviously doing this severely limits your versatility.
- Think very carefully before choosing any of the summon spells. Summoning guns and magic does create some antagonists on the station with the objective to survive by any means necessary, often causing chaos without you needing to do anything. However, it also arms everyone else with guns and magic to hunt you with and makes it obvious a wizard is about to board the station. Summoning ghosts doesn’t cause any direct harm, but if you’re trying to keep hidden the ghosts have a habit of giving away your position if they’re all orbiting you...
- Two very useful items to acquire once you board the station are an ID card (the more access the better, but any will help) and a medical kit for healing (secondary medical storage usually has a few kits spare). Having an ID means you don’t need to waste spell charges getting through maintenance doors and the medical kit will become highly useful once the mugwort tea runs out.
- If you want a lot of spell versatility for a low SP cost, consider taking the Belt of Wands and the Charge spell. Normally the wands can only be used so many times before they're drained but charge will restore a portion of their uses, heavily increasing their lifespan. Take note that wands can only be recharged so many times before being rendered useless, and that the number of uses you replenish will gradually get lower each time they're charged. In addition anyone can use your wands if you lose them, so be very careful when and where you use them.
Spells and other Magickes
If you are concerned about raising confusion or being found out, it is good to know that silent spells are either whispered or do not require you to say anything at all and loud spells will have you yell them out for everyone to hear. Also, your spellcasting ability is not impaired by being stunned, cuffed or gagged, unless the spell description specifically says so.
|Spell Name||Cost||Requires Garb?||Loud or Silent?||Cooldown||Description|
|No Clothes||2||N/A||N/A||N/A||Allows you to use all spells without your garments. A great choice if you wish to go undercover.|
|Rathen's secret||2||Yes||Loud||50||Summons a powerful shockwave around you that knocks everyone down for a moment, forcing all victims to emit a small smoke cloud and defecate their appendix. If you've already taken the liberty to remove the victim of their appendix, they instead take 10 brute damage, with a possibility of breaking their ribs if they are already hurt.|
|Magic Missile||2||Yes||Loud||20||Fires several, slow moving, magic projectiles at all targets within your sight which stun them, but deal no damage. The stun duration is quite short, but just long enough to slap cuffs on someone if you are right next to them and have the cuffs in one of your hands already.|
|Disable Tech||1||Yes||Loud||40||Creates an EMP disabling all energy weapons, cameras, radios and most other technology in range.|
|Repulse||1||Yes||Loud||40||Throws everything around the user away.|
|Stop Time||2||Yes||Loud||50||Stops time on a 3x3 grid around you, allowing you to move freely while anyone or anything, including projectiles caught in the sphere will be frozen in place. Lasts 10 seconds.|
|Smoke||1||No||Silent||12||Spawns a cloud of choking smoke at your location.|
|Forcewall||1||No||Silent||10||Creates a magical barrier that only you can walk through, lasts for 30 seconds.|
|Greater Forcewall||1||Yes||Loud||10||Creates a larger magical barrier that only you can walk through, lasts for 30 seconds.|
|Bind Soul||2||No||N/A||N/A||A dark necromantic pact that can forever bind your soul to an item of your choosing. So long as both your body and the item remain intact and on the same plane you can revive from death, though the time between reincarnations grows steadily with use. You are unable to buy this spell in the Ragin' Mages gamemode.|
|Fireball||2||No||Loud||6||Fires a fireball in the direction you are looking at and does not require wizard garb. WARNING: Due to the way the game is coded, it's possible (a small chance) to hit yourself with a thing you're throwing, casting, et cetera. Do not cast fireballs the same direction you're walking, or you will possibly fireball yourself!|
|Disintegrate||2||Yes||Loud||60||Charges your hand with vile energy that can be used to violently explode victims. This spell manifests in your hand and requires you to touch your target, so you will not be able to use it while handcuffed or stunned. Additionally, all the gear except their shoes, gloves, helmet, mask, headset, glasses and whatever they were holding in their hands will be permanently destroyed.|
|Rod Form||2||Yes||Loud||60||Casting this spell makes you take the form of an immovable rod, which will destroy everything in its path. Deals heavy brute damage to anyone hit by the rod, often putting them into critical health. Upgrading this spell will increase the distance travelled while in rod form in addition to lowering the cooldown. Note that upon casting this spell you will be locked to moving in a single direction, so aim carefully!|
|Blind||1||No||Silent||30||Temporarily blinds a single person.|
|Mutate||2||Yes||Loud||40||Turns you into a hulk and grants laser vision (You can shoot laser beams while on harm intent, each shot dealing a smashing 20 burn damage). Lasts 30 seconds. Tip: You can mantain this spell almost constantly, as the cooldown starts ticking down even while you're using it.|
|Flesh to Stone||2||Yes||Loud||60||Charges your hand with the power to turn victims into inert statues for a long period of time. You must touch the target with the spell readied, this will turn them into a stone statue that cannot be moved or harmed for 8 minutes. Cannot be used while stunned or cuffed.|
|Lightning Bolt||1||Yes||?||30||Throws a lightning bolt at the nearby enemy. Classic. Takes 10 seconds to charge. ( To use this, avoid the UI action button and click the spell in the spells tab on the top right. When you are charging up, press it again to activate.)|
|Lesser Summon Guns||4||Yes||Loud||75||Why reload when you have infinite guns? Summons a stream of bolt action rifles, letting you fire 31 times from the moment you cast the spell. You will also automatically drop any items in your other hand when shooting.|
|Curse of the Horseman||2||No||Loud||15||Triggers a curse on a target, causing them to wield an unremovable horse head mask. They will speak like a horse! Any masks they are wearing will be disintegrated.|
|Curse of the Cluwne||2||Yes||Silent||60||Turns the target into a fat and cursed monstrosity of a clown. Cluwnes can be freely killed by crew members and usually are.|
|Banana Touch||1||Yes||Loud||30||Turns the target into a clown - complete with full costume, comic speak and clumsiness. Will remove all of their previously equipped headwear, mask and uniform and stuns for a short while on use.|
|Mime Malaise||1||Yes||Silent||30||Turns the target into a mime - complete with full costume and rendering them permanently mute. Will remove all of their previously equipped headwear, mask and uniform and stuns for a short while on use.|
|Mind Transfer||2||No||Silent||60||Allows the caster to switch bodies with a target. You must be next to the target you want to transfer into, after which you both will get knocked out for roughly 30 seconds.|
|Blink||2||Yes||Silent||2||Randomly teleports you a short distance in a random direction. Produces a loud sound.|
|Teleport||2||Yes||Loud||60||Teleports you to a type of area of your selection the same way a scroll of teleportation does. After casting the spell, you will also audibly say where you are teleporting to, so if there was anyone nearby to hear you, expect them to try and chase you down before long.|
|Ethereal Jaunt||2||Yes||Silent||30||Creates your ethereal form, temporarily making you invisible and able to pass through walls. If you are stunned or otherwise unable to move, you won't be able to escape after using jaunt either.|
|Knock||1||No||Silent||10||Opens nearby doors and lockers.|
|Greater Knock||2||No||Loud||20||On first cast, will remove access restrictions on all airlocks on the Cyberiad, and announce this spell's use to the station. On any further cast, will open all doors in sight. Cannot be refunded once bought!|
|Instant Summons||1||No||Silent||10||Binds a single item to your soul. Cast this spell while holding an item to mark it. Cast it again while holding a free item to recall it. If you have marked an item and cast this spell while holding another item, you will remove the original mark, then you must cast the spell one more time to mark something else.|
|Charge||1||No||Silent||60||Recharge a variety of things in your hands, from magical artifacts to electrical components. A creative wizard can even use it to grant magical power to a fellow magic user.|
|Summon Ghosts||No Cost||No||N/A||N/A||This nefarious spells makes all ghosts visible to the living. Be careful though, while they cannot harm you in any way, they might prove a bit.. annoying. Spell goes into effect immediately the moment you buy it. You are unable to buy this spell in the Ragin' Mages gamemode.|
|Summon Guns||2||No||N/A||N/A||Nothing could possibly go wrong with arming a crew of lunatics just itching for an excuse to kill you. Just be careful not to stand still too long! Gives every crewmember a random gun and will make about 10% of the crew into a survivor antagonist, who need to get as many weapons as they can by any means necessary. Spell goes into effect immediately the moment you buy it. You are unable to buy this spell in the Ragin' Mages gamemode.|
|Summon Magic||2||No||N/A||N/A||Share the wonders of magic with the crew and show them why they aren't to be trusted with it at the same time. Gives every crewmember a random spell or magical artefact and will make about 10% of the crew into a survivor antagonist, who need to get as many magical items as they can by any means necessary. Spell goes into effect immediately the moment you buy it. You are unable to buy this spell in the Ragin' Mages gamemode.|
|Staff of Healing
||1||An altruistic staff that can heal the lame and raise the dead.|
||2||An incandescent orb of crackling energy, using it will allow you to ghost while alive, allowing you to spy upon the station with ease. In addition, buying it will permanently grant you x-ray vision.|
||2||A collection of wands that allow for a wide variety of utility. Wands do not recharge, so be conservative in use. Comes in a handy belt.|
||2||An artefact suit of armor that is enchanted with a magical shield capable of blocking up to 16 attacks. The shield will not recharge over time and once depleted the armor itself doesn't offer any more protection that the standard wizard's robes.|
|Battlemage Armor Charge
||1||A defensive rune that will add 8 more charges to any battlemage armor it is used on.|
|Staff of Change
||2||An artefact that spits bolts of coruscating energy which cause the target's very form to reshape itself.|
|Staff of Chaos
||2||A caprious tool that can fire all sorts of magic without any rhyme or reason. Using it on people you care about is not recommended.|
|Staff of Slipping
||1||A staff that shoots magical bananas. These bananas will either slip or stun the target when hit. Surprisingly reliable!|
||2||A mighty hammer on loan from Thor, God of Thunder. It crackles with barely contained power.|
||2||A hammer that creates an intensely powerful field of gravity where it strikes, pulling everthing nearby to the point of impact.|
|Staff of Door Creation
||1||A particular staff that can mold solid metal into ornate wooden doors. Useful for getting around in the absence of other transportation. Does not work on glass.|
|Staff of Animation
||2||An arcane staff capable of shooting bolts of eldritch energy which cause inanimate objects to come to life. This magic doesn't affect machines. Objects brought to life using this staff will have silly googly eyes but make no mistake, they are quite dangerous!|
|Six Soul Stone Shards and the Spell Artificer
||2||Soul Stone Shards are ancient tools capable of capturing and harnessing the spirits of the dead and dying. The spell Artificer allows you to create arcane machines for the captured souls to pilot.|
||2||A Necromantic stone is able to resurrect three dead individuals as skeletal thralls for you to command.|
|Contract of Apprenticeship
||2||A magical contract binding an apprentice wizard to your service, using it will summon them to your side. Four types of apprentices are available, each of which is described upon activating the contract. You can have more than one apprentice. Each apprentice you summon has his own teleport scroll. Should you decide not to use an already summoned contract (or there are no ghosts available), clicking on your spellbook with the contract will get you a full refund.|
|Bottle of Blood
||2||A bottle of magically infused blood, the smell of which will attract extradimensional beings when broken. Be careful though, these creatures, called Slaughter Demons, are indiscriminate in their killing, and you yourself may become a victim. You need to 'use' the bottle to unleash the slaughter demon.|
|Bottle of Tickles
||1||A bottle of magically infused fun, the smell of which will attract adorable extradimensional beings when broken. These beings are similar to slaughter demons, but they do not permanently kill their victims, instead putting them in an extradimensional hugspace, to be released on the demon's death. Chaotic, but not ultimately damaging. The crew's reaction to the other hand could be very destructive. You need to 'use' the bottle to unleash the laughter demon.|
|Bottle of Ooze
||1||A bottle of magically infused ooze, which contains a sleeping magical Morph. Upon breaking the seal magical Morph shall awake and consume everyone and everything on the station. Morph, in addition to the standard Morph abilities, is also able to cast Smoke and Forcewall spells. You need to 'use' the bottle to unleash the magical Morph.|
||2||A deck of Guardian tarot cards that can be used to summon a spirit companion for the wizard. Functionality-wise, the companion is identical to the syndicate holoparasite. See: Guardian. You can choose a type of the Guardian freely.|
Game Ending Conditions
- If the wizard and all apprentices die, the crew wins.
- If the wizard gets transformed into something non-humanoid such as a borg or xenobiology mob (except slimes) then they count as dead. Being turned into a real xenomorph won't end the round.
- If the wizard survives to the end of the round then they win.
The Space Wizard Federation is a known terrorist organisation, tied to the Cult of Nar-Sie and the Syndicate... By Ark Soft, at least.